This expansive habitat will provide larger, more open space so bears can patrol like they do in the Arctic, plus exciting new views for visitors.
A new home for bears
Design began in 2016 and construction started in 2018. Opening in 2021, the habitat will feature:
- Saltwater pools—best for maintaining healthy skin and fur—with filtration systems that save water and energy?
- An energy-saving geothermal loop that draws heat from the polar bear habitat to warm the elephant building?
- Elevated terrain with natural landscaping, keeping the habitat cool and providing panoramic views for bears?
- Views into the groundbreaking work the zoo is conducting with partners to understand how climate change affects wild bears?
- Opportunities for up-close and interactive experiences, including a "smell port" where bears get within sniffing distance of visitors
- Information on how to take climate action on behalf of wild bears and the Arctic ecosystem